Translate

Friday, February 18, 2011

What it means to be a friend

As the older I get my definition of a friend changes and my needs from that definition is an ever revolving and changing thing. When I was young I needed a play buddy, someone I could meet in a secret place to visit far off lands, the only boundaries that we had were the ones our minds created, which is still true today. But today the rules and the game itself has evolved. I have been in many relationships through the years, some more successful then the others but relationships none the less. As my rules have changed through the years, the type of people that are associated with these relationships also changed. So, today a friend to me means someone you can trust, someone I can rely on, someone that will ask me for help when in need. I guess maybe I should tell you about a few of my friends I have now. Friend #1 I will call Brent, He lives about 2 1/2 half hours away but we talk on the phone on a regular basis and have been friends for about 15 years, in those 15 years we have gone through a significant amount of life together and can call upon those events with laughter or sorry, either way we can relate to each other, he trusts me as I do him. He can call me anytime day or night and if he really needed me I would be there and he would be there too for me. That is what a friend is to me.

No comments: